Story, Format and Voice in editorial executions
Creative leadership and organisational change
I was recruited to reformat and relaunch the respected 10-year-old fashion and art quarterly in Berlin, responding to a publishing brief to make the title more commercial, international and relevant. Managing organisational change alongside creative leadership with an international, multilingual team. Verifiable increase in revenue, awareness, and quality.
With Studio Anti and Bureau Mario Lombardo. From 2011–2014, as Editor In Chief.
A fanzine for men, by men, about man stuff
Reimagining the men’s magazine for the post-aspiration, post-lad mag era. Five issues in A4 print over three years. With Warren Jackson and Peter Lyle, from 2008 in London and Berlin.
Winter/A Mag For All Seasons
The feelings of a season, in print
A Mag For All Seasons is an independent, biannual print magazine project documenting artistic responses to the emotional extremes of each season. The first edition, Winter, was published 2014 in Berlin. As co-editor, with Kati Krause and Ana Lessing.
British Esquire/Selected Trend and Reportage
Mankles: on the trend for men to show and decorate their ankles. The term was subsequently adopted by the Collins English Dictionary. 2012 (link)
Engraver’s Gothic (click through gallery): how the typeface became the Superfont of the contemporary era. 2014 (link).
The Rise of the New Male Shopper: how and why men do shopping now. 2015 (link)
Youth Culture 1999-2002
Editorial cover stories for the defining fashion, music and lifestyle magazine of its era, where I was Features Editor between 2000 and 2002
Further Selected Commissions
• The Vulnerability Industry – Esquire 2018
• Man down: why do men suffer depression in silence? – Guardian/Observer 2017
• How Twitter Made Handwriting Cool – Daily Telegraph 2010
• The Power Of The Hoodie – The Guardian 2012
• From Lad To 4D Man – The Guardian 2011
• Berlin Street Style – The Guardian 2011
• Achieve The Impossible: 10 Challenges – Mr Porter Post 2013
• Meeting Watch Brand Uniform Wares – Mr Porter Post 2013
• Thoughts on Multilateral Masculinity – Sleek magazine 2014